Historical Milestones

February 1949
Initial meeting of 13 founders of the church who made the decision to organize a Ukrainian Orthodox Parish in Canada’s capital.
 
August 1949
Meeting of earliest members in the presence of Very Rev. Volodymyr Sluzar of Montreal. Decision made to join the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. Dmytro Kostenuk elected as first Parish President.
 
October 1949
First Liturgy of the congregation held in the Greek Orthodox Church, located at 360 Albert St., attended by Archbishop Mstyslav, Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
 
March 1950
Congregation purchases first church building, the Anglican Church of the Ascension, dating from 1877, at 115 Echo Drive, on the corner of Main Street, overlooking historic Rideau Canal . Cost of the church - $12,000. The cost of modifications was an additional $7,000 and included a central roof dome, a bell tower and a bell imported from Europe.
 
August 1950
Dedication of the first Ukrainian Orthodox c hurch in Ottawa, named in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin.
 
1951
Purchase of parish cemetery at 1890 Merivale Road.
 
1952
First Ukrainian school committee formed within the parish and classes start at Cambridge School.
 
February 1960
Establishment of the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada (UWAC), Lesia Ukrainka Branch.
 
March 1962
Decision made by parish to purchase land at 1000 Byron Avenue for $40,000. The property included the historic Honeywell House, which became the rectory and place of worship during the period of the construction of the auditorium.
 
April 1962
Yuri Kodak selected as chair of Building Committee, with Vasyl Tomashewsky as the architect responsible for church buildings. A two-phase plan is adopted to first build the auditorium, then the actual church.
 
September 1962
First meeting of CYMK – Canadian Ukrainian Youth Association – held in Ottawa.
 
October 1963
Architect Vasyl Tomashevsky completes plans for the auditorium.
 
November 1963
Sod-turning ceremony marking the start of the construction of the auditorium, in presence of Rev. Bohdan Gorgitza, Very Rev. Myroslav Podolsky and Ottawa Mayor Charlotte Whitton.
 
February 1964
First issue of parish newsletter “Visti” issued.
 
May 1964
Dedication of the church auditorium which becomes the place of worship for the next 12 years. In attendance - Archbishop Mikhail.
 
December 1966
Parish approves Church Statute.
 
1968-1975
Plans for Church drawn up successively by Vasyl Tomashevsky (1968), P. Dovbush (1973) , and Yuri Kodak (1975). Over the years, Church Building Committee chairs included Nick Tokaryk and Alexander Wloch.
 
March 1973
Church Building Committee makes three recommendations: 1/ that the church not be built directly above the auditorium, 2/ that the church should accommodate 150 people, and 3/ that the cost for building the church not exceed $200,000.
 
1973
Dedication of the cross at the parish cemetery on Merivale Road, donated by Eugene and Olga Danchul.
 
October 1975
Building committee authorizes architect Yuri Kodak to create plans to determine cost estimates for the building of the church.
 
March 1976
Yuri Kodak’s plans for the church building are accepted by the parish.
 
September 1977
Start of construction of church at 1000 Byron using Yuri Kodak’s plans and Peter Vorobej as contractor.
 
September 1978
Dedication of new Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin. Metropolitan Andrij in attendance.
 
1980
Vasyl Tomashevsky designs, commisions and funds the two sets of church banners (khoruhvy), one pair gold plated and the other pair burgundy gold embossed.
 
1983
“Burning” of the church mortgage.
 
June 1988
Iconostas from St. Sophie Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral (Montreal) installed in church, replacing the original iconostas built by Dmytro Kostenuk.
 
September 1991
Blessing of stained glass window icon depicting the Virgin Mary, donated by Olga Danchul in memory of her late husband, Eugene Danchul, to honour the founders of the parish.
 
1996
As a result of declining enrolment, Ukrainian School merges with that of the parish of St. John the Baptist Shrine.
 
Later in 1990s
Iconographer and one-time head of UWAC Ottawa branch, Vera Senchuk, commissioned by the parish to paint new icons to replace the original ones on the St. Sophie iconostas.
 
January 1999
First community Sviat Vechir (traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve dinner) held in the church auditorium.
 
October 2002
Church Choir participates in the Multi-Faith Thanksgiving Service on Parliament Hill, celebrating the 50th year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. In attendance were Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, H.R.H. Prince Philip, Governor General Adrienne Clarkson and Prime Minister Jean Chretien.
 
September 2004
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral honours its founders and pioneers as it celebrates its 55th Anniversary and annual Feast Day. His Eminence Yurij, Archbishop of Toronto and the Eastern Eparchy, presides at the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy.
 
2005
A commemorative plaque with names of the Founders and Pioneers of the parish is hung in the vestibule near the main church entrance.
 
October 2009
Celebration of the 60th Anniversary of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral in Ottawa.